Psoriasis is a skin disease wherein there is an overproduction of skin cells that leads to reddening, irritation and itchiness. Psoriasis can range from mild to severe. It affects different parts of the body, even the scalp. However, some lifestyle changes can be incorporated in order to manage the disease. Following are few helpful tips:
1) Food – Significantly increase you intake of Vitamins E and D. They have proved to be very helpful to patients of Psoriasis, according to recent studies. Vitamin D is found in fish, beef, vegetables and dairy products. Vitamin E helps in alleviating the symptoms of Psoriasis. It is found in spinach, sweet potato and almonds.
Your intake of Omega 3 and Omega 6 Fatty acids needs to be balanced. What happens is that generally, Omega 6 is found in higher quantities in prepared food and people seem to be lacking in Omega 3. The balance of both will help regulate production of skin cells. Omega 3 is found in dark green leafy vegetables, fish oil and seeds.
Bitter gourd juice combined with lime juice helps immensely in psoriasis relief. Apart from this, you can cook with herbs and spices that are found to help skin conditions. These include Alfalfa, peppermint, parsley, fennel seed, lemon grass etc.
2) Medication – Medication in case of Psoriasis mainly consists of topical creams and lotions that are to be applied on the affected areas. In case of scalp psoriasis, you get a special shampoo that will help soothe the inflamed skin. All shampoos, creams and lotions with salicylic acid are used to treat symptoms of Psoriasis. You can also try Anthralin based creams. They slow the progression of the disease. Corticosteroid creams can also be applied on the affected areas and covered with saran wrap. Cool tar based lotions and shampoos also help.
3) Other lifestyle changes – Going out in the sun helps, as the ultraviolet rays curb the production of excessive skin cells. Avoid injuries as well as being exposed to very low temperatures. Both aggravate psoriasis. Another significant factor is stress. It greatly affects psoriasis. Try meditation and relaxation techniques to keep stress at bay. Dry skin can cause psoriasis to worsen, therefore always keep your skin moisturized. Do not wash hands or bathe too often. It can cause irritation. Use warm water and gentle soaps whenever you have to.
- Safe and affordable handheld UVB phototherapy lamps
- Parts and accessories for home-use UVB phototherapy lamps
Other Blog post you may find useful: